We’ve simplified a quick list of monthly to-do’s to keep you on track with your home maintenance so that you can get things done, and then with peace of mind, enjoy everything special about the season. June is the start of summer, so tackle these early and enjoy the warm weather!
- Test all of your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Seal your deck. You will need 3 consecutive warm, sunny days. Give the deck a full day to get nice and dry. On the second day, scrub and clean it early. On the third day, at least 24hours after cleaning apply the sealer.
- Hire a certified chimney sweep. Cleaning and inspecting the chimney now, instead of in the cooler fall months, allows for ample time to complete any necessary repairs. It will also be easier to schedule with them since many people wait until just before the heating season.
- Clean your home’s exterior with a mild detergent and a water hose. Pressure washers are great tools, but when it comes to siding, they are so powerful that they can actually force water underneath, encouraging the growth of mold and mildew.
- Clean your dryer vent system. This is a key task for fire safety. Lint is extremely flammable. Open up the back of the dryer and clean in there too. If you’re looking for a professional to do it, ask your local duct cleaners.
- Make sure that your motion detector lighting systems and automatic timers are all set and working properly. Those automatic timers are particularly important if you plan to be away on vacation.
Printable version: June Home Maintenance Checklist